Monday 29 December 2014

Time for a male companion for the Doctor

Up-to-date Whovians already know the (big) news: Clara is going to stay as the Doctor's companion in series 9 of Peter Capaldi's second round as the legendary Time Lord. And this is the reason why I'm writing this entry because for a longer time now I thought about Clara and future companions of the Doctor, and I believe that it is about time that some things should maybe change a bit.

I know that a lot of people are going to say that I'm not open-minded and that I judge too fast too overhastily because I'm one of the people who don't like Clara. I admit that Clara does not stand on my top 3 of Doctor Who companions, but that is not entirely my point. For non-Clara fans the news that she is going to stay is of course kind of devastating, and I understand you very well guys. But I also understand the Whovians who like Clara very much and consider her as one of the best companions. Every Whovian has his/her own favourite companion, we can't always like everyone, and that's normal. I also don't want to concentrate now necessarily on pros and cons for Clara as a companion; there have been far too many discussions about that, and we all know how quickly they can go down an ugly road.

That Clara is going to stay the Doctor's companion for little longer I can't change, and I also won't stop watching Doctor Who just because a companion I don't like stays. To be honest at that point: any Whovian who stops watching because a character stays or the Doctor becomes someone else is to me not a real Whovians and simply being ridiculous, but that is another discussion... No, I'm writing this entry because something else is going around my mind because I think that it is time that the Doctor in the near future (possibly after Clara) gets a complete new type of companion.

The point I'm trying to make is: it is time for a male full time companion in Doctor Who.

We have had Jack and Rory, and (in my mind) they turned out to be pretty cool, but they have either only travelled with the Doctor occasionally or never alone with him. I personally would like to see another man aboard the TARDIS and this time alone, for real and as a full-time companion. Peter Capaldi's Doctor, I think, would be perfect to finally make that step. With him we've got again a more serious Doctor who is not flirty and not into hugging and is not always trying to impress the girl next to him (although he somehow always tries to impress somebody, no matter who it is, so...). I think that Capaldi's Doctor would make the perfect basis for a good, honest and mature friendship between two men who are simply best mates. It would definitely bring a fresh tone to the show and Capaldi's Doctor does seem to me to be very appropriate and a good version of the Time Lord to form a great bromance. He simply does seem and look to me like the right Doctor for this kind of companion because I imagine he would maybe be a bit more comfortable with (finally) only a guy aboard, and I also think that a male companion suits Capaldi's Doctor best of all the new-Who Doctors.

Well, I know that not all Whovians will welcome my opinion, but then it is only human to disagree. We will see what Moffat plans for the future of Capaldi's Doctor, and we can all just hope, with whomever the Doctor will end up with, that he is happy with his choice of companion and that he doesn't feel alone.

(Source: http://observationdeck.io9.com/how-many-of-the-doctors-companions-can-you-name-1652613850)

No comments:

Post a Comment