Tuesday 25 October 2016

Gotham's Oswald x Edward S03E6: What the hell are you doing to me?!

First, let's quickly clear up something: if you think I'm one of those people who fight the idea of Penguin and Riddler being together, then please stay! If you yourself are one of those people who can't bear the aforementioned idea, well then: bye! Who's been following me on Google+ and Instagram already knows very well how much I dig the bromance between Oswald and Edward, so that I end up writing about it isn't really that big of a surprise. Now, where are we with this special friendship so far?


When Edward's true side is born, he starts to admire Oswald, the crime-king of Gotham. When the Penguin is hurt in body and spirit, Edward takes him in and helps him to become his old self again. Oswald lands in Arkham and when he is released seems cured, so he first goes to his old friend to show him so. Obviously Edward is a little irritated by the new Oswald and the two part ways for some time. Eventually it's Edward's time to go to Arkham and guess who always comes to visit and eventually pick him up when he is released? Oswald is working o becoming the mayor of Gotham and of course he wants his old friend at his side. together they work hard of the Penguin's plan, Edward using his mind and schemes to help Oswald. Edward manages to show Oswald that he can win without criminal actions through the power of love. Shocked and touched, Oswald becomes mayor and makes Edward his chief of staff. In a turn of events one of Oswald's most trusted henchmen betrays him, but Edward saw this coming. He saves his friend, nearly getting strangled to death in the process. The two young men find themselves in the Penguin's house, Oswald is still in shock but Edward insists that he would do anything for him. For a few seconds there's this undescribable look between them, Oswald moves closer and the two embrace.


This is where we were last week and I believe most of us were shocked and surprised in some form or another. is Gotham really ging there? Making these two iconic characters fall in love with each other? well, this week we got the answer: sort of.
But one thing is for sure: Oswald loves Edward. he remembers his mother telling him to cease the chance for true love when you see it and so Oswald eventually decides to confess his feeling to Edward.
You won't believe how excited and thrilled I became when I heard him say that. I literally had to stop the video in that moment to get up and scream. Like I said, I've been digging this relationship hardcore, so of course I'm happy about a turn like this. They've been developing this relationship in a very nice and lovely way and you're just happy as soon as you see those two on screen. I do honestly get why some people oppose the idea of the two of them being together. They're classic, iconic characters who in the comics were never gay or that close; I understand this. (However, if you don't like the idea because you're a homophobe arse, then fuck off!) And I'm usually someone who prefers the classic, old-school version as well, but with Gotham it's different. They have made some changes, but executed (most of) them very well so I can get along with them. The relationship of Oswald and Edward has gone down such a wonderful path so far, so I couldn't be any happier. This week's episode though got me thinking; again.

(Source: http://seventhief.tumblr.com)

I love that Gotham is not afraid to do this "Oswald loves Edward"-thing, I admire this. However, my fear/thought is that they still won't let the two be together (or at least not soon). Oswald tries to tell Edward what he feels but can't go through with it the first time. Hey, I'm fine with that; many of us know these kind of moments, it isn't that easy. Then we have the dinner to which Oswald invited Edward in order to finally confess his feelings. We cut to Edward buying a bottle of wine (probably for Oswald) where he encounters a young woman. Three guesses on who this woman resembles: Kristen Kringle! Edward's former big love who he had killed. Right away Edward is intrigued and even seems smitten once more; Oswald seems forgotten.
Okay: why?! Come on, people! I'm ready for the whole "I love you, Edward." and then they come up with this at the end of the episode. Tension? New love interest? Reason of anger for Oswald? Jealousy? Why did they come up with a Clone-Kristen right now?! What's going to happen?!
Well, let me tell you all the thoughts and theories I already have on this:

1. This Clone-Kristen has some connection to Oswald. Maybe he found someone who looks like her in order to make Edward happy. That's his form of saying "I love you". Also he maybe fears that Edward won't love him back so instead Oswald gives Edward something that he loves. Question however is: why the whole dinner thing then? Symbolism?

2. Clone-Kristen was send by someone else (maybe Butch or someone completely else) and is either really close to Kristen in looks or was created to resemble her in order to draw Edward in and away from Oswald. Question: who sent Clone-Kristen and why?

3. Clone-Kristen is just a simple, not-special person who happens to look like Edward's late girlfriend. Total randomness. But then the big question here would simply be: why? Why would they randomly bring in a Clone-Kristen now?
  3.a Simply for (romantic) tension. Edward is going to have to choose between Oswald and Clone-Kristen.
  3.b To awake Oswald's rage once more and give Edward a reason to go against Penguin. Oswald might get very upset and do something horrible to Clone-Kristen so he can have Edward. But obviously Edward wouldn't be very happy about something like this and eventually betray Oswald.
  3.c So Oswald and Edward simply can't end up together. This is the worst case scenario because this would put the writers of Gotham in a bad light. Keyword: queerbaiting. Giving us the cute little Edwald/Osward moments for those who ship it but eventually putting their romantic interests somewhere else. "Luckily", in this case, this would only apply to Edward.

4. Some very clever and weird story lies behind all this. Something so unthinkable is going to happen and I just don't know what it could be . Big question here: what is it?!

Side Note: I'm already calling bullshit on the Clone-Kristen anyway. Something is fishy about her, she just seems too perfect: she resembles Kristen but isn't her, isn't afraid of Edward and seems to like riddles. Very suspicious.

Personally, I can't really say what I believe will happen. I'm honestly surprised already that they went so far as to say that Oswald loves Edward. Sadly, I'm somehow led to believe that they won't end up together, as much as I would love to see that happen. I don't know, call it a gut feeling. I also think that the harmonious relationship between Oswald and Edward is not going to last. At some point, maybe towards the end of the season, Edward is going to betray Oswald. He's the Riddler after all, he always has a bigger picture in his mind. I do believe he feels something for Oswald as well but also uses those feelings to his advantage. When Oswald was close to telling him "I love you" there was this look in Edward's eyes like he already knew. I have seriously no idea what's going to happen; but then this only shows what a brilliant show Gotham is. All I can say is that I'm very excited for next week's episode. I want to see more of Oswald and Edward, no matter how or what. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

My edit ^-^

No comments:

Post a Comment