Friday 13 January 2017

Everyone seems to be mad at Robin Lord Taylor...

So there's been an interview with Robin Lord Taylor about his role on Gotham and a lot of people were very angry about his phrasing of the Penguin's perception of love:

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/on-air/as-seen-on/Robin-Lord-Taylor-Talks-_Gotham__New-York-410542755.html

Okay, I’m gonna say this first so everyone knows where I’m starting from: I love both Robin and Oswald as persons and to me Oswald’s love for Edward is genuine and real, but I’m also not gonna be all out furious about what Robin has said/has been saying about Oswald’s character in connection with love and relationships. I can very well understand why a lot of people are angry with the way Robin phrased his views and I certainly don’t want to discourage those people. Normally I also try to stay away from stuff like this; yes, also as a huge fan there’s just some stuff I’m not getting myself into because it simply doesn’t (maybe shouldn’t) concern me or anger me (wow, that sounds weird but I hope you get what I mean). But since Gotham, especially Oswald and Edward have become something very much important to me and I see people being angry about this, I just feel like giving out my view of the whole thing. Because I’m always trying to see everything in an objective way, even with stuff that enrages me or makes me happy, I’m always trying to see both sides and be fair about everything. You can take from this whatever you like, that’s just me thinking out loud and you’re very much welcome to talk to me about this whether agreeing or disagreeing. This is probably gonna be quite long so bear with me. Okay, let’s do this... 



I watched the interview this morning after hearing all the turmoil about it and my initial reaction was: “Okay, yeah, I wouldn’t say it like he did but seriously: that’s what everyone’s going crazy about?” It’s important to note that I don’t always fully agree with what Robin has said (now and in the past). To me Oswald’s feelings for Edward are genuine, honest and come from a good intent. However, I can also see where Robin’s point of view is coming from and I can even agree with him on some of those aspects. And after all, it’s Robin’s character and his perception; he’s just as much an interpreter of the character as we are so he also has a very different understanding of Oswald.

Thinking about what has happened to Oswald it would be generally wrong to say that he isn’t a fucked up person, he doesn’t have a normal understanding about a lot of things (or at least not anymore). This is a man who has had everything and nothing; a man who saw both of his parents die in his arms; he has lost the only two people who have shown him love and for whom he felt the deepest kinds of emotions; Oswald has had people taken from him, and he has been betrayed, it’s not always easy for him to trust someone 100% or to invest in someone emotionally. In season 3 he is (after a long time) back on the top of his game after having his father taken from him, killing the murderer of his mother (again) and encountering Fish Mooney. He frees Edward from Arkham because they’ve grown very close over the past months and they obviously do care for each other to some degree.

Now, skipping forward to the episodes in which the statue of Gertrude gets destroyed, people are being bribed to vote for him while others try to overthrow him. The statue being destroyed might not be a big thing but to someone like Oswald it obviously means a lot, it hurts him, it reminds him of his mother; and at the same time he has to deal with a gang that tries to kill him and is led by someone knowing Oswald. Oswald is a man with a broken character, he gets upset and enraged by things most of us would find very strange or not so important; he is a man who deep inside is probably fighting big demons every day, a man who is desperate AND depressed to some degree. And in such a time there’s this one guy, Edward Nygma, the one guy who (apart from his parents) has ever shown genuine, honest interest and affection for Oswald and helped him simply because he wanted to. So of course Oswald holds on to that, he’s alone and broken and there’s this man who keeps encouraging him and who’s nice. In those sad moments of Oswald’s life there happens to be Edward and in those moments of deep, intense emotions and desperateness Oswald sees what Edward does for him and of course he doesn’t want to lose that. He’s never gotten that kind of love from anyone else, he’s always been alone most of his life especially in those desperate times.

So, (without trying to be mean or discouraging or anything like that) of course Oswald’s feelings are confused to some extent in that regard because he’s never been in such a state. This is both new and intensely difficult for him. Love is something very complex, problematic, rare and messed up for Oswald. His perceptions of such feelings have been shaped in a very fucked up way. I’m not saying he’s completely incapable of feeling love, but in such situations as described above, it wouldn’t be too wrong to say that his feelings are basically all over the place and going crazy and maybe not functioning in a way we’d consider “normal”.



Now, going from the fictional world to the real world. And mind you this is gonna be quite difficult because I couldn’t possibly say what Robin is really thinking, I don’t know him and none of us have any idea what’s actually going on with him or what he really wanted to say or what he could tell us about Oswald and upcoming stuff on the show.

First I just want to say that we should take into account that Robin is allowed to have his own interpretation of the character; art isn’t objective so everyone sees things differently and I’m pretty sure there are also some people who would agree with what Robin said in that interview. Maybe that really is Robin’s perception of the Penguin’s psyche, we don’t know. It’s an opinion (maybe a strangely formulated one but hey), it’s Robin’s opinion and we should know better than to discourage and ignore it. Sure, it might not be an opinion we agree with and it’s hard to hear it from Robin himself but we should still be able to accept it if it’s truly what Robin’s thinking.

Robin isn’t in an easy position here. He’s the main star of the show, a lot of people look up to him and pay very close attention to what he says. He’s an openly gay man who portrays a very famous comic book character who falls in love with another male iconic character. That’s some big stuff going on, we have all seen the comments on the whole Nygmobblepot relationship and Robin knows about those too. He wants to make this good, Oswald obviously means a lot to him and as a member of the LGBT+ community it’s probably safe to assume that Robin cares about that story-line for his character.

Robin has had personal experience with hate for the LGBT+ community and he’s been known to support gay rights openly. Now, Oswald is a broken, fucked up super villain and murderer, who kills the girlfriend of the guy he loves and that’s only one of the many bad things Oswald has done. The Penguin has done some horrible things and it’d be wrong to ignore that, Oswald isn’t/can’t always be the cute innocent bird we like him to be. As a gay man Robin would obviously want the people to not get a wrong picture of the gay community, it could very well be that he’s afraid of people getting encouraged in their homophobia so he’s somehow trying to make the best of it. And maybe that didn’t turn out the way he wanted it to. It can happen, we all make mistakes, Robin’s phrasing wasn’t the best and yes it isn’t very nice to listen to (especially as an Oswald fan and/or Nygmobblepot shipper). I’m honestly not thinking that it came from a place of homophobia (seriously, how could it?), maybe it’s simply difficult for Robin to explain what exactly he means, maybe he’s trying to make it right for everyone but doesn’t know how to  and thus ends up in situations like this one right now.



Okay, I’m somehow trying to wrap this up now. I’m not trying to discourage or disagree with those who are angry with Robin, in fact I very much understand that. Again, I myself don’t really agree with him, to me Oswald’s love is genuine and real. But I’m not gonna hate on Robin now, even if his words also upset me a little, because I know that I have my opinion and he has his and I know that I don’t have to be angry with him just because he happens to be the man who plays my favourite character. In that regard he’s also simply another man voicing his opinion of the character so I just do what I always do whenever I encounter someone who says something I don’t agree with (no matter who it is): I acknowledge the other view, still stick to my personal opinion and move on. Yes, personally I’d also say that maybe someone should call Robin out on his way of phrasing but I’m also saying that you should try to see both sides of the argument and not get too caught up and full mode furious about all of this.
I know I might have upset some people now and I would totally understand that. As I said in the beginning, you’re welcome to discuss the issue with me, this here is simply what I think about the whole affair. If you made it this far, thanks for reading. Feel free to comment, like, hate whatever, I don’t care. After all: we all have the possibility to voice our opinion.    


No comments:

Post a Comment