Monday 8 September 2014

Starting school again (twice), a Doctor's appointment and putting my trust into a genie

Ah, well it has been quite a while since I did some proper blogging. What has happened, what is new, what people did I meet, what kind of new TV shows and movies I have recently fallen in love with, 'new' fandoms new people and things to swoon over... Well, I believe you get the idea ^_^

I have been back to school now for a week and to be honest: I'm already now tired of the whole school thing again! I've had six weeks of summer holidays and it doesn't feel like I have been away. Already now I get a headache in class, have problems understanding stuff and fall asleep in the middle of the lesson (no kidding, I really do that!). And it is also my final year at school, my 12th year and then I'm graduating (hopefully) so I get my degree for university. I'm so freaking nervous about my final exams and have no idea if I can cope with the stress, the pressure and the nervousness. The thing with me is that I don't want to finish school because I can't imagine a life after school, going to work, live alone etc. Yeah, university might still be a bit like school but even there everything is a bit different, more complicated and self-organised. And every teacher reminding you of now concentrating on your final exams and your plans for what to do after school doesn't make it much better for us students...
Well, but there has been another 'school' that started again and I was glad to see coming back: the TV show "Big School" is back on screen for a second series about which I am very glad! For the ones who don't know the show: it's about the life of (mainly) the teachers at a small school with bored and not the smartest children. Mostly you follow the life of French teacher Sarah Poston who is played by Catherine Tate (yes, it's Donna ^_^). She tries to make French interesting for the students and has to deal with the odd behaving of her colleagues, especially the flirting attempts of overenthusiastic and (too) nice Chemistry teacher Mister Church and the gruff and (slightly) perverse Physical Education teacher Mister Gunn. The show is definitely worth a watch because it is so lovely made and very funny. Every teacher is well played with his/her own special personality which may some of us remind us of our own teachers. The show isn't very long either (six episodes a 30 minutes in the first series) so you get through with it quickly and get some funny and loveable entertainment for an afternoon.

Of course I got my teeth also into some TV shows in the last time and I believe I have found a/two new fandom(s). I bet some of you know the TV show "Life on Mars" and its sequel "Ashes to Ashes". "Life on Mars" concentrates on the story of policeman Sam Tyler played by John Simm with whom you should be familiar as he played the Master in Doctor Who. This time however he plays the decent cop Sam who is involved in a car accident and when he wakes up he finds himself back in the year 1973. There he is the new DI in the department of DCI Gene Hunt, a tough, smoking, drinking and violent cop like you would imagine the head of a police department in the 70s. Sam meets all sorts of people and has to find his meaning in this new life and needs to work out if he ever can come back into his old life in the year 2006. The sequel that follows Sam's adventures, "Ashes to Ashes" is mainly with the same cast as in "Life on Mars", only that we this time follow the adventures of profiler Alex Drake who gets shot in the year 2008 and after waking up finds herself in the year 1981. She also works under Gene as new DI and tries to find out what has happened to herself.
I can only recommend and tell you to watch these two TV shows because they are a jewel of British television. These aren't just some ordinary crime shows as we are used to see on telly, no! Every case these people work on is different, in 40 episodes you will never get the feeling "Haven't they done something like that before?". The fact that the two shows are set in the 70s and 80s also gives them a special taste. The people who worked on these shows did all they could to make it look as authentic as possible and they really have succeeded with that! Fashion, music, looks, political views, society matters are getting a different kind of view that also let the audience think about the difference between now and then. The best thing, however, is probably the perfect character-writing and performances of all the different police characters. Every character in the police department is different and an individual and has her/his own way of thinking, talking and reacting to situations. And every single actor and actress in these two shows play their parts brilliantly and with so much passion and conviction that you will find yourself fallen in love with them from the very first moment.
Especially (that's now my personal opinion) the though DCI Gene Hunt is the one you will find yourself adoring after a few minutes the most although he's not always the nicest and fairest person in the room. Gene is a hilarious guy who's never afraid of saying what he thinks and punching the criminal scum, he takes off the road, if they are being stupid or don't want to talk. Gene Hunt is played by the awesome actor Philip Glenister who not only has the perfect looks for a guy like Gene but also portrays this cop with so much passion that you will never forget that Philip Glenister is/was the Gene Genie ^_^ I've also seen Glenister in other movies and shows and can also recommend to you everything he has ever done because I personally think that Philip Glenister is one of Britain's finest actors who makes every role you see him in likeable for you. So I found a new fandom and a new brilliant British actor I can be obsessed with. Hurray!

The other big thing that has been going on are the further adventures of the new Doctor number 12! I can't say that much about it because there is actually just one thing I would like to make clear: I bloody love the 12th Doctor!!! He is funny and serious and is somehow a mixture of Doctor number 9 (and some of the classic Doctors) who was a bit more serious but still sassy and the childish Doctor number 11. In all three episodes I think the new Doctor has been brilliant, he gets better with every new adventure and I personally have to say that 12 already now probably belongs to my favourite Doctors ^_^

Okay, that is my blogging done. Just some little advice at the end: go and watch the movie "Fright Night", it's awesome! That is how a good and decent vampire-horror movie should be! The original from 1985 is really good and the remake from 2011 is bloody awesome and has David Tennant and Colin Farrell in it. That's my little advice for your next movie night so go and have a look and don't forget "Life on Mars" and "Ashes to Ashes". They are all worth a watch, believe me. Trust the Gene Genie ^_^

P.S.: Today is Martin Freeman's birthday by the way! Our cute Hobbit and loyal army-doctor turns 43 today. Happy Birthday, Martin ^_^




No comments:

Post a Comment